Saturday, May 5, 2018

Back into PS2 homebrew: FMCB & OpenPS2Loader

After a long time I got yesterday back into configuring a PS2 for homebrew software - and this time the slim version!
In the past I've played a lot around with PS2 homebrew software from emulators, media players to HD loaders. My own old console is from 2004 and I added a hard disk and was able to launch games from there - using tools like HDLoader, HDAdvance or OpenPS2Loader.

The latter played a part again yesterday: A friend of mine got an PS2 slim and I remembered about the possibility to play games from USB. So as the first thing I tested with my Memory Card, if the homebrew menu works with the silver PS2 slim. As I read somewhere there were issues with certain firmware version delivered with newer slim models.


However, it was no problem: FMCB started with the extended boot menu. In the following I installed it also on the Memory Card of my friend. As there were issues with the file manager (ULaunchELF) of my Memory Card which was unable to open elf files properly, I copied the FMCB installer on the USB drive and added the elf in the boot menu via the FMCB configurator as a workaround.

FMCB was successfully installed on the Memory Card and I added the OpenPS2Loader to the Memory Card and linked it to the main menu.

Now, via the USBUtil GUI tool I selected a few games to test which were converted from ISO file to a certain format to be able to be booted via OpenPS2Loader 0.9. A 32GB USB flash drive was used and as the games were launched you could notice that it takes a bit longer than using a DVD. Of course the internal HDD drive is the quicker way, but only with the older bigger PS2.

Both tested games, the infamous fighting DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was still working quickly (you could only see that the in-game transformations were slower than usual) and the fast racing game Burnout Revenge was also running well.

Plus, I also tested the old bicycle racing game Downhill Domination which was quite nostalgic played it again after a long time!


Therefore, still nice having these tools for the good old PS2!

No comments:

Post a Comment